Boeing Debuts First 737 MAX 8
Boeing announced that it has completed final assembly of its first 737 MAX 8 aircraft. The 737 MAX 8 is Boeing’s answer to European competitor Airbus’ A320neo jetliner, the first of which is to be delivered to Qatar Airways before year’s end.
“Today marks another in a long series of milestones that our team has achieved on time, per plan, together,”
said Keith Leverkuhn, Vice President and General Manager, 737 MAX, Boeing Commercial / Airplanes.
“With the rollout of the new 737 MAX - the first new airplane of Boeing’s second century - our team is upholding an incredible legacy while taking the 737 to the next level of performance.”
Backed by CFM International LEAP-1B engines, the new single-aisle 737 MAX 8 will consume 20% less fuel than the first batch of next-generation 737 aircraft.
“The complexity of this is not so much the changes in the airplane itself, but more about how you weave this new airplane into a factory that’s been producing (the current 737) for 19 years now,” said Leverkuhn.
Specifications of the Boeing 737 MAX 8 jetliner are as follows:
- Max Design Taxi Weight: 181,700 lb / 82,418 kg
- Max Design Takeoff Weight: 181,200 lb / 82,191 kg
- Max Design Landing Weight:152,800 lb / 69,309 kg
- Max Design Zero Fuel Weight: 145,400 lb / 65,952 kg
- Max Design Fuel Capacity: 6,853 US gallon / 25,941 liter
- AFT Cargo Compartment Capacity: 883 cu. ft. / 25.00 cu. m
- FWD Cargo Compartment Capacity: 660 cu. ft. / 18.69 cu. m
- Total Cargo Capacity: 1,543 cu. ft. / 43.69 cu. m
“All the milestones have been met. Engineering has been early. The supply chain is performing well," said Leverkuhn. "When the airplane actually showed up here in the factory, the mechanics were ready to go. The parts teams were ready to go. So this is a celebration for the team."After completing its first flight scheduled in the beginning of 2016, the 737 MAX 8 is due to enter service with Southwest Airlines in the third quarter of 2017. It will be joined by the 737 MAX 9 in 2018 and the 737 MAX 7 in 2019.