Cantherm: They Can Handle the Heat
Headquartered in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Cantherm (Canadian Thermostats & Control Devices Ltd.) is a worldwide designer and manufacturer of thermal protection technologies for electric motors, medical devices, power supplies, and temperature-sensitive electronics. Originally founded as Multi-State Services Ltd., Cantherm holds approvals from UL (Underwriters Laboratories, Inc.), CSA (Canadian Standards Association), and VDE (Verband der Elektrotechnik). With over fifty years of experience in the field and seven global manufacturing plants, Cantherm is able to produce roughly 100 million units a year. Cantherm’s array of ISO 9001-2008 certified thermal solutions includes:
- Encapsulated Thermostats: Engineered to withstand long-term exposure to harsh temperatures reaching +220 degrees Celsius, Cantherm’s encapsulated thermostats are available with N/C or N/O contacts and PC mounting pins. Due to their plastic TO-220 style housing, the thermostats are certified for high voltage applications (4000 VAC dielectric at 200 degrees Celsius).
- Thermal Fuses: Designed to prevent fires caused by irregular heat generation from circuits and other electronic assemblies, Cantherm’s thermal fuses are non-resettable and open electrical contacts when they sense that temperatures go over the pre-determined level.
- Probes: Consisting of a bi-metallic switch encased in a brass and stainless steel housing, Cantherm’s thermostatic probes act as thermal protectors and temperature regulators. Ideal for NPT (natural polyurethane thread) threaded inserts, Cantherm’s probes are used in automotive, HVAC, agriculture, hydraulics, process control, and refrigeration applications.
- NTC Thermistors: The MF72 series of Power NTC (negative temperature coefficient) Thermistors suppresses inrush currents to protect sensitive electronics. With a small size and fast response time, the MF72 series of thermistors is Cantherm’s most cost-efficient solution to curb surge currents. It operates in temperatures ranging from -55 degrees Celsius to +200 degrees Celsius. The MF72 is ideal for energy-saving lighting, electronic ballasts, and power inverters.
- Control Thermostats: Cantherm’s control thermostats are double-sealed in plastic casing to increase water and impact resistance. Ideal for icing prevention, medical applications, thermo-electric heating, LCD displays, fan controls, food warming, and heating blankets, Cantherm’s thermostats are guaranteed for an operational life of 100,000 cycles.